QLD - Defining Family Day Care
Family day care
Family day care offers children from birth to 12 years of age an education and care option in small groups (up to 7 children), traditionally in a home or family learning environment.
Facts about family day care services
- Provide education and care for children from birth to 12 years old (for up to 7 children - including 4 children not yet in school).
- Available for a full day, part day, overnight or weekends.
- Educators have individual working hours and fee structures.
- Family day care educators must:
- hold or be working towards a Certificate III qualification
- hold approved first aid qualifications including anaphylaxis management training and emergency asthma management training.
- Services must comply with a range of legislative requirements
- Educators are monitored and supported by a family day care scheme coordination unit including qualified family day care coordinators.
- New services must have one coordinator for every 15 educators for the first 12 months of operation.